Pastor's Desk December 10, 2017
Dec 8, 2017
- John the Baptist… makes his appearance in today’s Gospel, urging us to Prepare the way of the Lord! Make straight his paths! What are we doing to prepare for the Lord’s coming? In order to help us put John the Baptist’s words into action, our parish is offering a number of opportunities during this Advent season:
- Operation Christmas is our parish’s primary monetary outreach to needy organizations at this time of year. A second collection was recently held for this purpose, but monetary donations are welcome at any time.
- The Angel Giving Tree is in the back of the church. Gifts can be returned near the tree itself no later than December 17.
- The Advent Candle is carried in the opening procession of our weekend Advent masses as a sign of us being bearers of Christ, the light. If interested, please see the sign-up sheet posted in the church vestibule.
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation is a great way to prepare for Christmas. We offer the Sacrament on Saturday afternoons from 4:15-4:45. Confessions will also be heard this Wednesday, December 13, from 6:00-9:00 p.m. here at St. John Capistran and in every parish in the Pittsburgh Diocese, as “the Light is still on for you!”
- Our Advent Caroling Party is on Saturday, December 16. Sing carols before Mass in front of the Church, and join in a party after Mass! See the bulletin insert for more information.
- Service Opportunities are sponsored by our Religious Education department. See “Religious Education News” for more information.
- An Advent Prayer booklet was recently mailed to all parishioners. Consider praying these beautiful short meditations each day of Advent.
- Looking ahead… Our parish choirs will present a Festival of Carols here on Friday evening, January 5 at 7:30 p.m., followed by a reception. This has become an annual tradition here at St. John’s, and it is a wonderful event! Mark your calendars.