Pastor's Desk December 17, 2017
Dec 15, 2017
- In today’s second reading… St. Paul has some good advice for us, especially at this time of year. He tells us: Rejoice always… Pray without ceasing… Give thanks… Refrain from every kind of evil. These are great ways to help us, like John the Baptist, “prepare the way of the Lord” as Christ’s coming draws near! Let’s not lose sight of our Christian values as we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of our preparations for Christmas.
- Christmas masses… Please take note of the Christmas season mass schedule, which is printed again in today’s bulletin. I will be the celebrant for all four Christmas masses scheduled here at St. John’s. It’s always the case that Christmas masses in any church have many visitors. We heartily welcome them! However, our parking lot and church get very crowded, especially at the Christmas Eve 5:00 mass. Come early to get a parking spot as well as a good seat in church! Finally, please bring with you to church an extra dose of Christmas spirit and patience!
- Christmas second collection… The second collection on Christmas is the annual Collection for Children and Youth. All proceeds will be used to support a number of diocesan programs that serve children and young people who depend on our generosity and our loving concern for them. As has been the practice in the past, this collection is credited toward our Parish Share goal. Please be generous.
- As a small token of thanks… we have Christmas gifts for our generous parish volunteers. The gifts are arranged alphabetically on tables in the church hall. I hope we didn’t inadvertently miss anyone! If so, please let me know. We’re blessed with many wonderful parishioners who volunteer their time and talent in so many ways. Thanks for your service!
- Looking ahead… Our parish choirs will present a Festival of Carols here on Friday evening, January 5 at 7:30 p.m., followed by a reception. This has become an annual tradition here at St. John’s, and it is a wonderful event! Mark your calendars.