Pastor's Desk December 3, 2017
Nov 30, 2017
- Advent… is here! It’s a beautiful season of preparation for the Lord’s coming. In order to help us appreciate this season, plan to take advantage of the following opportunities:
- Operation Christmas is our parish’s primary monetary outreach to needy organizations at this time of year. A second collection was held last weekend for this purpose, but monetary donations are welcome at any time.
- The Angel Giving Tree is in the back of the church. Gifts can be returned near the tree itself no later than December 17.
- The Advent Candle is carried in the opening procession of our weekend Advent masses as a sign of us being bearers of Christ, the light. If interested, please see the sign-up sheet posted in the church vestibule.
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation is a great way to prepare for Christmas. We offer the Sacrament on Saturday afternoons from 4:15-4:45. Confessions will also be heard on Wednesday, December 13, from 6:00-9:00 p.m. here at St. John Capistran and in every parish in the Pittsburgh Diocese, as “the Light is still on for you!”
- Our Advent Caroling Party is on Saturday, December 16. Sing carols before Mass in front of the Church, and join in a party after Mass!
- Service Opportunities are sponsored by our Religious Education department. See “Religious Education News” for more information.
- An Advent Prayer booklet was mailed to all parishioners this past week. Consider praying these beautiful short meditations each day of Advent.
- Looking ahead… The solemnity of the Immaculate Conception IS a Holy Day of Obligation. Masses will be celebrated on Thursday, December 7 at 7:30 p.m. and on Friday, December 8 at 9:00 a.m.