Pastor's Desk December 31, 2017
Dec 28, 2017
- Christmas… is more than a day; it’s a whole season! During this time, we celebrate different aspects of the Christmas story. Today, we observe the feast of the Holy Family, and consider how the family of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus is a model for us in all of our relationships. The season of Christmas lasts until January 8 this year. So, consider keeping your home decorations up for the entire Christmas season! Most importantly, may the spirit of Christmas always remain with us.
- We’re grateful… to all who made our Christmas masses so wonderful! The music was splendid, with Kevin Maurer leading our cantors, choirs, and instrumentalists. The church decorations are elegant. Thanks to those who gave of their time and talent. We’re grateful to our liturgical ministers for their faithful service at the liturgies, and to the many people who worshiped with us.
- We’re also grateful… to our other parish staff members and parish organizations who worked so hard on our Advent and Christmas events. Kudos to: Doug Beasock and Youth Group members for coordinating our Angel Giving Tree; our Religious Education staff of Denise DeCapria and Mary Lou Rodgers and catechists for organizing CCD events; the Ladies of Charity and our Evangelization Committee for all they did to make the season meaningful; our Parish Office Staff of Kate Hanley and Kathy Pfeifer who worked so hard to make sure that our parishioners would have a Merry Christmas, and to Tony Podobnik, our maintenance man, for his hard work and dedication. Many thanks to all who were so generous to the parish, as well as to me personally. Your cards and gifts are truly appreciated.
- New Year’s Day… is not a Holy Day of Obligation this year, since it occurs on a Monday. For those who wish to attend a mass, we will have our regularly scheduled 9:00 a.m. mass on Monday, January 1. There is no mass scheduled on New Year’s Eve. Please note that the Parish Office will be closed on January 1, and will re-open on January 2. May 2018 be for each of us a year of peace, health, and happiness. May it be a time when we continue to grow in love for God and one another.
- All are invited… to the “Christmas Festival of Scripture and Song” that our Parish Choirs are presenting here on Friday evening, January 5 at 7:30 p.m., followed by a reception. This has become a wonderful yearly event! Mark your calendars.