Pastor's Desk January 14, 2018
Jan 12, 2018
- The liturgical season… of “Ordinary Time” returns, now that the Christmas season is over. In today’s readings, we reflect on our call to be disciples. In the first reading, Samuel responds to God’s call by saying, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” In the Gospel, the disciples are drawn to Jesus, and make the decision to follow him. Every day, God calls us again. Let’s respond affirmatively!
- Our Ladies of Charity… are at the doors of our church after all masses this weekend collecting monetary donations for their ministries. Your donations will be put to good use.
- The second collection next weekend… will benefit the special needs children of St. Anthony’s School and the DePaul institute. St. Anthony’s provides a Catholic education to children with developmental delays and autism. The DePaul Institute helps children who are deaf or hearing impaired. Your donation will help both of these organizations forever improve the lives of their students.
- A wonderful evening!… Despite the cold weather, our church was quite full of people for our January 5 Christmas Festival of Scripture and Song. It was an inspirational event! Thanks to our parish choirs who presented such beautiful music, and to the readers who proclaimed God’s Word. Special thanks to our Director of Music Ministries, Kevin Maurer, who planned and directed the event. We’re also grateful to those who provided a festive reception in the parish hall. May the spirit of Christmas live on in us each day.
- I will be away… on vacation doing “beach ministry” from January 19-27! I am grateful to the priests who have agreed to celebrate masses here while I’m away.
- You won’t forget these dates!… Ash Wednesday this year occurs on Valentine’s Day, and Easter is on April Fool’s Day!