Pastor's Desk January 21, 2018
Jan 19, 2018
- Discipleship… and repentance are connected in today’s readings. In the first reading, Jonah (of the popular “fish story”) preaches repentance to the people of Nineveh, and they changed their ways! In the Gospel, we have a different kind of “fish story,” when Jesus invites his followers to be fishers of men and women. To be a disciple involves sacrifice, which includes repentance. May we take to heart the call of Jesus: “Repent, and believe in the gospel.”
- The second collection today… benefits the special needs children of St. Anthony’s School and the DePaul Institute. St. Anthony’s provides a Catholic education to children with developmental delays and autism. The DePaul Institute helps children who are deaf or hearing impaired. Your donation will help both of these organizations improve the lives of their students.
- January 22nd… is the day we sadly commemorate the 45th anniversary of the Supreme Court decisions that legalized abortion on demand in our country. Let’s pray and work for pro-life legislation. We are called to unequivocally proclaim the Gospel of Life in the face of the shameful abuse of the little child, the old person, the prisoner, the sick, the suffering, and all those who are too weak to defend themselves.
- After-Mass socials… will be held next weekend, January 27/28 after all of our Masses. Following the Saturday afternoon 5:00 mass, we will have delicious appetizers available. Light breakfast items will be offered after the Sunday morning 9:00 & 11:00 masses. Come one, come all to enjoy food and fellowship!
- As you read this… I am away on vacation doing “beach ministry” and will return on January 27. See you then!