Pastor's Desk September 16, 2018
Sep 14, 2018
- Who do you say … that Jesus is? That’s the question posed to Peter in today’s Gospel. Peter responds, “You are the Christ!” Who is Jesus to us, and what does it mean to follow him? Today’s Gospel tells us that following Jesus means putting our faith in action, especially by being willing to carry our crosses. Our crosses may be heavy, but they can be put into perspective by uniting our sufferings with Jesus, who carried his heavy cross for us!
- Catechetical Sunday… is observed this weekend, as we ask God’s blessings at the start of this new year of religious education. At today’s 9:00 mass, we pray in a special way for all of our parish catechists. We thank those who have generously volunteered to give their time and talent to this important ministry this year.
- Hello, Fr. Peter!… Next weekend, September 22/23, our new Administrator, Fr. Peter Horton, will celebrate the three weekend Masses here at St. John Capistran. (In exchange, I will be celebrating three Masses at St. Thomas More!). Fr. Peter will officially become the new Administrator of the St. John Capistran/St. Thomas More Parish Grouping effective October 15. Let’s give a hearty welcome to Fr. Peter next weekend!
- After-mass socials… will be held following all Masses next weekend, September 22/23. Plan to come over to the church hall to say hello to Fr. Peter, and to enjoy good food and fellowship!
- Revised Mass Schedule… As announced at last weekend’s Masses, due to the diocesan “On Mission for the Church Alive” initiative, every parish in the Pittsburgh Diocese will have a new Mass schedule effective October 15. See the separate page in today’s bulletin