Pastor's Desk September 2, 2018
Sep 5, 2018
- Laws, rules, regulations … what’s our attitude about them? Do they restrict or free us? God’s laws are meant to be helpful. But our attitude is also important. This is what Jesus addresses in today’s Gospel. Let’s keep God’s laws with an open heart and receptive spirit, knowing that they exist to help us be better people.
- Our annual Mission Appeal… is this weekend. We welcome to our parish Fr. Jinu Puthussery V.C., a Vincentian Missionary priest from India, as he shares his missionary experience at all our masses, making an appeal on behalf of the Vincentian Missions. The Vincentian Congregation (V.C.) was founded in Kerala, India in 1904, modeled after the Congregation of the Mission founded by St. Vincent de Paul. Members of this Congregation are engaged in Mission Work in all parts of India and in East Africa and in Peru. The Vincentian Missionaries need our help to carry out their many missionary, educational and charitable activities. The second collection this weekend will be given to support these worthwhile missionary efforts.
- Welcome, Daniel… As mentioned last weekend, Kevin Maurer, our Director of Music Ministries for the past five years, has retired. This weekend, our new Director of Music Ministries, Daniel Kovacic, begins his ministry here. Welcome to St. John Capistran, Daniel!
- Labor Day… is on Monday! As we relax a bit on this holiday, we pray for all workers, as well as for those who are unemployed or underemployed. Why not start the day by coming to our Monday 9:00 a.m. mass? Please note that our Parish Rectory Office will be closed on Labor Day.
- The Second Collection next weekend… is the annual collection for the Bishop’s Education Fund. This fund is used to give financial assistance to needy families in our diocese with children who would like to benefit from a Catholic education. Your generosity will be appreciated